Thursday, November 7, 2013

Filthy Rags Meets Humble Pie

Ah, I see what you did there, God. I'm pretty sure you knew when I wrote that last post about embracing sinners that I meant those whose sins do not really offend me. 

You know, like sexual sins or financial sins...sins that don't directly affect me or step on my toes. 

I kind of forgot about sins like pride and selfishness that wave themselves right under my nose and take something from me or worse, from those I care about. I forgot about sinners that commit those types of sins. 

Am I so gracious with those sinners? 

Apparently not. 

And you knew that, didn't you?

In fact, you decided to grab ahold of the plank sticking out of my eye and yank it around a bit just to remind me that I have one, eh?

Did you enjoy watching me play the fool? Stomping around, waving my filthy rags of righteousness? Sharing my list of accomplishments in indignation that someone less worthy was receiving glory?

Ouch, Lord. 

It hurts to be humbled. No less so, by my own hand. That fall caused by pride is a doozy.

It's hard to offer grace when the sinner has caused injustice. It was easier for me when I could see them as victim, not perpetrator. But you don't see them as either, do you? Labels are stripped away with you and you see only their heart. 

Will you teach me to do that? To love like you? 

I'm sorry, God. Thank you for loving me enough to show me that big ol' plank still sticking out of this eye of mine, even though it hurts to know it's there.

No comments:

Post a Comment